oh, what the hell, right? sure why not. it gets us all away from the skeeviness of the current political deal that’s unfolding right before our very eyes.
ok. so if i was gonna do this desert island movie deal on the same desert island i’m doing my desert island music along with a couple of hot asian babes and some nice iced chinese beer or bottle of vino or three or some very very cold absolut. yeah, it’s a run-on sentence going nowhere. i’d be needing me either a nice theater set-up or a 62 ford falcon wagon in which to watch and play around in while the movies were playing on the large drive-in screen or flat screen tv. though i guess when you really think about it they are actually one in the same. just from different eras. but both the same. drifting i know. but you have to set stuff up or it’s…
1. ‘the godfather 1 & 2’. no doubt. it has to be right up on top. plus they have to be as one. though there’s a case to be made for part 3 as well. it doesn’t sing at all and it sucks but it does sorta round stuff out. 3 ain’t on the list.
2. ‘apocalypse now’. i originally saw this in one of those old cinerama dome thingys and i was ducking bullets. a great movie. i’m still not sure if i like the re-deux deal he did a few years ago. i think it slows things down and just gets in the way of the other stuff.
3. ‘abbott and costello meet frankenstein’. yeah, boy, this is right up in the top ain’t it? it should be. my goodness, you have bud and lou at their finest along with bella, lon jr, and frankie. though not boris’ frank but good enough. i saw this one for the first time on tv as a little kid one halloweenie night. it scared the crap out of me while i was laughing at bud and lou.
4. ‘full metal jacket’. love you long time and me so horny. yeah, baby. not as dreamy as number 2 on this list but it gets the job done. stellar.
5. ‘good fellas’. a great movie and i watch it every chance i get even if it’s on cable loaded up with commercials. plus it’s got tony soprano’s shrink in it and she is still one of the hottest non-asian babes going.
6. ‘invasion of the body snatchers’. the original b/w deal. another scary movie. this one supposedly has cold war overtones. i was always too scared to notice any of that in the movie.
7. ‘she wore a yellow ribbon’. you have to have the duke in any top ten movie list or you really aren’t paying attention to the movies. it could be any movie from his vast catalog but one or more must be in there. she wore a yellow ribbon is a great film about old soldiers and being in love. also see number 10.
8. ‘a fistful of dollars’. if only for bringing clint to the screen so he could do what he did after this one. none the less it re-wrote cowboy movies. one more time.
9. ‘stagecoach’. the original b/w version though the outlaw color version with willy, kris and waylon is pretty good too. just goes to show what a good script and idea can do if you let it roll. plus it’s that other duke film i was talking about. yeah, the comancheros, rio bravo, the searchers, the quiet man, fort apache, the sands of iwo jima…
10. ‘my darling clementine’. well, it’s hank fonda doing what he did so well along with john ford and monument valley doing what they both did so well. as a matter of fact monument valley is still doing it to this very day. a glorious place. when visiting be sure to stop at the burger king and visit the ww2 navajo code talkers shrine inside the burger king. yes, it’s a bit surreal but what about life isn’t?
there they are my top 10 desert island movies. of course, i’ve left off numerous good ones. then there’s ‘pulp fiction’. ouch. i still don’t get that one and i’ve never been able to sit thru the whole thing and yes i’ve tried a few times and i really don’t want to hear how great the movie is ok? thanks. because i do not like it. period. same goes for ‘gone with the wind’. that one i’ve sat thru. several times. unfortunately.
then there’s oliver stone. i guess it’s because i don’t care for his work. the only movie by him i actually enjoyed was ‘natural born killers’. the rest of his stuff i have no use for.
sure there’s ‘dr strangelove’, ‘the pink panther’ series with peter, antonino’s cult classic ‘blow-up’, zeffirelli’s ‘romeo and juliet’, ‘bullet’, ‘the big sleep’, ‘the african queen’, ‘treasure of the sierra madre’, ‘bonnie and clyde’, ‘the wild bunch’, ‘the magnificent 7’, ‘the bellboy’, ’12 o’clock high’, ‘psycho’, ‘north by northwest’, fellini, ‘vertigo’…i think you get the drift. amazing stuff. plus there’s scores and scores more.
we all have our favorites. some are the same and some aren’t even on the same planet. doesn’t matter. damn, let’s just nuke some popcorn up and slip a dvd into the machine. kick back and enjoy.